Sunday, February 8, 2009

Level 2 Class 04 - Dana Paramita - The Art of Giving

Dana paramita is the perfection of charity.

We talked about different kinds of of charity: external material giving (money, food, clothing), and internal material giving (body parts, sacrificing one's own life). Just as important is the giving of solace and courage. Even more important is the gift of the Dharma.

We also discussed some cases when not giving is the right thing to do!
Someone mentioned the "art of giving". I think that is an excellent way to think about the perfection of dana.
  1. Is the act of charity purely out of our kindness, or do we have a duty to give?
  2. Who are the people that regularly risk their lives to ensure the rest of us have a safe environment to live?
  3. What if a friend is addicted to gambling or drugs and wants to borrow money from you?
  4. Share an incident of how your life was deeply affected by an act of giving.
  5. What is involved in "the art of giving"? That is, how can we give in a way that truly benefit others the best?
I will begin by sharing an incident of mine. I was a college freshman taking the bus for the first time. It was late at night, all the stores were closed, and I got lost in downtown LA. Finally I got on the last bus to Pasadena. When the bus driver had no changes for my $20 bill, I asked if anyone on the bus did. Dead silence. Actually, more like complete ignorance. I stood there embarrassed, not sure what to do. Finally, a black man walked to the front, dropped a couple of coins, and returned to his seat without saying a word. I never forgot his slim shadow as he disappeared into the darkness in the back of the bus.

I often thought of how this small act of kindness penetrated to the very core of my being.

2 comments:

  1. Level 2 Class -04
    Comment by class member, Doug:

    Question 1.
    Is the act of charity purely out of our kindness, or do we have a duty to give?

    On the surface, it appears that we have free will and a choice of whether or not to be kind. If, however, the results of our choices are linked to our happiness, and if we are unable to endure unhappiness, there is compulsion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shifu,

    Amituofo.

    We all have the chance to practice Buddhadharma every moment. I recently attended the Medicine Buddha Ceremony, a chance for people to practice dana. 3 days later, I went to Buddhagate Monastery to help with their Summer Bodhi Youth Camp. At the time I struggled with my ego: do I practice dana there as well and make a donation? I did, because it was just too rare an opportunity to pass.
    The next day, I badly cut my finger and tendon and had to go to the emergency room. There were many other sick people as well. I had inexperience doctors-in-training taking care of me. More chance to practice dana: letting student doctors learn from my injury. It was fitting because I was a doctor-in-training myself 15 years ago, grateful for privilege to learn medicine from my patients. Even though it is hard to match the Triple Emptiness, No-outflow Dana of seasoned Bodhisattva Mahasattvas, I still cherish my resolve to practice dana in whatever small way I can. Life is fleeting: Sunnyvale, Buddhagate, and emergency room. I am thankful to Shifu, the Grand Master, and the whole Triple Jew for guiding me along the bodhisattva path.

    Palms Together,

    Chuan Yun

    ReplyDelete